In the spirit of reinvention, I started 2011 by sifting through a mountain of clothes I haven’t worn in months. I’ve been trying to think of new ways to wear them. Almost about to give up and donate the lot to Goodwill, it occurred to me that all I need to breathe a little life into my stale wardrobe is a couple of new belts. Oversize, off-trend muumuu dress? I’ll just cinch in the waist. Stretched-out, beaten-up denim? Use a belt to anchor a laid-back boyfriend style. This year I will be relying on fashion’s versatile item to save my outfits and rework my style. Here are my favorites on the market right now:
1. Women’s Skinny Braided Belt, $100, lpcollection.com. Since a braided belt can be adjusted to any size, it works equally well for both hips and waist.
2. Moss Mills “Isabelle” Double Buckle Belt, $136, mossmills.com. The ornate silver buckle really steals the show so I would use this one to add shape and detail to something simple–like a boxy button-down or plain cardigan.
3. Diesel Black Gold Belt, $89, yoox.com. A skinny delicate belt is the perfect way to rein in a chunky winter sweater.
4. Heritage Waist Belt, $46, madewell.com. This elastic belt with leather accents adds just the right dose of rugged to a feminine dress or skirt.
5. Burberry London Double Patent Leather Belt, $595, nordstrom.com. Despite its bold neon color, this patent leather stunner will complement pretty much everything in your closet.
How do you use belts to amp up your wardrobe? Do you prefer wearing them in your belt loops or around the smallest part of your waist?
Day 16: Tabletop Style
Day 17: Ladylike Basics
Day 18: Hair Accessories
What’s with All the Spam in the Comments Section?
We’re sure that you’ve noticed the flood of spam in the comments section lately. Spammers beware–we are completely on top of it. As we figure out a way to put a stop to this madness, we ask you for your patience and that you don’t stop leaving your own comments, because we love hearing from you!