There is a special sector in the back of my closet dedicated to overly trendy, seasonal and long forgotten dresses. The impulse buys (I’m talking about you, silk crepe shift with the giant giraffe on the front!) that just don’t work in my everyday wardrobe. This year I plan to think twice before shopping for an event–every purchase should translate to multiple occasions over the course of my year. With these six timeless dresses I feel prepared for anything that comes my way:
1. 3.1 Phillip Lim Tie Front Ruffle Dress, $450, nordstrom.com. Elegant draping and twisting in the front is equally at home with heels at a cocktail party or flats at the beach.
2. Shikoba Dress, $106.80, loomstate.org. Built in jewelry and a dark color add enough substance for this lightweight dress to work with tights and boots.
3. A.P.C. Crew-Neck Dress, $250, usonline.apc.fr. Icy blue is appropriate for cold weather layering but also looks fresh with bare legs in spring.
4. Racerback Maxi Tank Dress, $175, dkny.donnakaran.com. Throw a chunky sweater over this minimalist maxi to keep it in your winter rotation.
5. Marc by Marc Jacobs Effie Eyelet Dress, $298, shopbop.com. A sweet, white summer frock is surprisingly edgy and cool when anchored by black tights.
6. Holiday Tatiana Dress, $338, stevenalan.com. A neon-bright silk dress purchased for your holiday party circuit can be recycled for any summer fete.
How do you keep your dresses working for you year round? Do you ever buy something and only wear it once?
Day 10:Winter Road Runs
Day 11: Cooking Dinner
Day 12: Seventies Denim
What’s with All the Spam in the Comments Section?
We’re sure that you’ve noticed the flood of spam in the comments section lately. Spammers beware–we are completely on top of it. As we figure out a way to put a stop to this madness, we ask you for your patience and that you don’t stop leaving your own comments, because we love hearing from you!