Hollywood makeup artist Amy Holiber is all about a fresh, natural look punched up with sparks of vivid color. Since one of her trademarks—a jewel-toned smoky eye—is huge this season, we asked her for her secret formula:
1. Start with eye primer. It really makes a different: You create a lasting canvas, and application is way easier.
2. Apply a sheer wash of shadow—in a neutral matte shade—all over your lid and up toward the crease.
3. Trace on a soft, kohl-type liner in a sapphire blue, plum, amethyst or emerald green, keeping it close to the lash line. Blend, blend, blend.
4. Layer a similar (or contrasting—see tip #6) shade of shadow over your line to soften it for added drama, blend the shadow up to the crease of your eye and under the lower lashes.
5. Pop a touch of sheer, shimmery highlighter under your brow-bone, at the inner corners of the eye, and in the middle of the eyelid.
6. Mix and match. I love to pair purple tones with bronze or silver, or olive with gold, or lilac and silver shadow with purple liner. Playing with different intensities of the same color can look beautiful too. Either way, the effect will be a bit less intense than the traditional smoky look with grays and blacks—it’s fresh, and really flattering.
And her two favorite products:
1. “Love these—they’re waterproof, creamy, easy to blend and come in amazing colors.”
2. “Sheer and velvety. I’m addicted to this.”
More on Luckymag.com:
- Acne 101: 7 Clear-Skin Secrets That Will Change Your Life
- Glow 101: the Ultimate Healthy Look
- Dita Von Teese on Traveling, Primping and Getting Tipsy
Keep up with the Lucky team on Twitter: Follow @LuckyMagazine