The following is a guest post from our friends at The Budget Fashionista.
It’s an ever-lasting debate for women of all shapes and sizes: how do I wear leggings without looking ridiculous? Luckily, it’s really quite simple, and the best tips for wearing leggings work for women from petite to plus.
How to Wear Plus Size Leggings Stylishly
1. Fabric: The number ONE tip for wearing leggings is “make sure you aren’t wearing tights.” What does this mean? Well, the biggest offense for any lady is to don a pair of TIGHTS thinking she’s wearing leggings. Tights are like second skins, and tend to be sheer. So, make sure to double-check your purchase and opt for those that feel like thick cotton.
2. Size: No matter how more or less curvy you are, “squeezed” doesn’t look good on anyone. Buy the right-sized leggings, which means that they are fitted throughout the leg and hip, but don’t create a pooch of stomach at the waist band. “Muffin top” is legging’s worst friend, and no, tighter doesn’t make anyone look thinner.
3. Top: What to pair with leggings? The answer is anything that is not skin tight and short. Any top that hits at the hip or below is ideal, and choose one that leaves a little room to wiggle. Tunics, over-sized sweaters, dresses and long shirts are great for every woman.
4. Pride: The best thing you can accessorize with your legging-look is CONFIDENCE. It’s that “je ne se quois,” that “she looks great and I’m just..not…sure..what..it…is”—it’s what makes you shine, so remember to stand up straight, hold your chin up high and wear your leggings with swagger.
5. The Look: My favorite legging-look is a tunic, tall boots, a sweater and a long necklace—it never fails.
More on Thebudgetfashionista.com:
- How to Make Every Room Pop with Awesome Decorative Pillows
- Clair Flair: The Fashions of TV Mom & Style Icon Clair Huxtable
- This 2013, We’re Lovin’: The Statement Sunglasses Trend
- Bodycon Dress for the Budgetcon (Budget Conscious, That Is): We have Under $50 Picks
- Still Keeping Coupons in Your Wallets? Leave ‘Em to the 2000 and Late Era and Try Unclipt
More on Luckymag.com:
- J Brand’s Velvet Maternity Leggings Are Pretty Tempting
- Make Room for Fashion: Thankful for Leather Paneled Leggings
- Where To Find the Perfect Leggings
- Margie Plus: Colored Leggings
- Margie Plus: Leather Leggings
Keep up with the Lucky team on Twitter: Follow @LuckyMagazine