Joan Smalls plays the starring role in Fendi’s Fall 2012 campaign, shot by Karl Lagerfeld. The designer—who also featured the model in Chanel’s Spring 2012 ads—claims he made the casting decision during Milan Fashion Week.
"I said to myself backstage during the show: It’s her and her alone," he told WWD. "No other girl—or boy—no child, only her. She had this incredible golden, glowing skin that made her look like some Etruscan beauty."
Most of the images won’t be released until July 15, in the August issue of magazines, but the brand has released one finished shot and behind-the-scenes picture. Posing in scenic Italy, Smalls commands both images with a serene kohl-lined gaze. Another hit for the Kaiser—we can’t wait to see the rest.
More on Luckymag.com:
- Resort 2013: 10 More Collections That Wowed Us
- Rihanna vs. Blake Lively: Who Wore the Red Suit Better?
- Julia Stiles Talks Dressing Like a High-End Escort
- Miu Miu’s Special Line of Sparkly Accessories
- Inspiration Board: Wassily Kandinsky
Keep up with the Lucky team on Twitter: Follow @LuckyMagazine