Grassroots company Krochet Kids International believes that developing nations can be "transformed by hook and yarn," creating fair trade economies based on the art of crocheting. Now, the non-profit has teamed up with Vans on two limited-edition styles of the latter’s slip-on Bixie shoe, each of which is fitted with colorful panels hand-crocheted by women in Uganda.
These specially-knit Bixies even come with a real backstory—each pair bears a tag with the name of the woman who made them, so you can read her inspiring story (and even leave her a personal thank-you) on Krochet Kids’ website.
Both the striped and floral designs retail for $60 each and are available now at Nordstrom.com. Below, check out a video all about how this collaborative, charitable shoe came to be.
More on Luckymag.com:
- Kenzo x Vans Era: Pretty Much the Coolest Sneakers Ever
- Rachel Bilson Covers Her Vans in Pretty Red Hearts
- Summer Packing Guide: Road Trip
- J Brand for Christopher Kane’s Resort 2013 Looks Are Covered in Lace and Flowers
- Eleven Striped Styles Under $50
Keep up with the Lucky team on Twitter: Follow @LuckyMagazine