To kick off our FABB West conference, designer Zac Posen got right to the point: "If you focus on something and find what makes you an individual, then you have something," he told an audience of the country’s top fashion and style bloggers, gathered together at Santa Monica’s Annenberg Beach House. "Create your own identity. Then hold on to it as strong as you can."
Other interesting nuggets from his chat with Lucky editor-in-chief Brandon Holley (pictured at left):
- Zac was a math league star at St. Ann’s high school in Brooklyn, NY.
- He interned with Alexander McQueen in London, and was written up in the New York Times long before he even launched a label. The title of the article? "A Star Is Born."
- He relaunched his runway collection two years ago in Paris with a focus on eveningwear. "It was a risky move, an insulting move to the American press," he revealed. But the results were worth the tension. Not only is Posen showing his high-end collection (yet again) at New York Fashion Week, but it’s also selling better than ever before. "We sell almost every piece that goes down the runway."
- On that gorgeous coral tulle gown Gwyneth Paltrow wore to the Oscars in 2007: "She saw it two weeks before the Oscars on Fashion TV!"
- On launching Z Spoke, his more affordable collection: "It felt wrong to have very expensive t-shirts at a designer price point." Now, Posen offers dresses starting at $140 at Lord & Taylor.
More on Luckymag.com:
- Kate Middleton: One-Year Style Retrospective
- Most Popular Fashion Brands in YOUR City!
- Eight Amazing Rewards Programs Worth Joining Now
- Revenge Is a Dish
- Do You Want a Free Makeover?
Keep up with the Lucky team on Twitter: Follow @LuckyMagazine