Nicole Richie is known not only for her two successful fashion lines—House of Harlow 1960 and Winter Kate—but also her polished public persona. We rarely spot the well-dressed mother and entrepreneur in anything but enviably gorgeous outfits, regardless of whether she working as a Fashion Star mentor or hanging out with her children. But before she developed her effortless style sense, the star wore a few things she seriously regrets—and no, we’re not talking about her overalls from The Simple Life. (Hey, it was the early aughts. We all wore questionable clothes.)
"I was a huge Punky Brewster fan and I used to wear a green sock and a red sock and then wear a white shoe and a black shoe because I wanted to be just like [her]," Richie admitted to us. "My mom wouldn’t take me anywhere. She was mortified. I did not understand it at all. She told me ‘Don’t take pictures in that outfit because you’re going to look back and you’re going to look nuts.’ And, you know, I never want to give my mom too much credit about being right but she was right in this particular situation."
While the idea of Nicole wearing this type of get-up now is laughable, we think she’s being a bit hard on herself. She was probably a pretty cute Punky Brewster fan girl! Did you have any crazy outfits you insisted on wearing as a young kid? Tell us in the comments below!
More on Luckymag.com:
- Shoe Designer Kathryn Amberleigh is Opening a Los Angeles Outpost Soon, But You Can Shop Her Plentiful Designs Now
- Nine Pairs of Non-Boring But Classic Black Pumps
- Rag & Bone and Hampden are Throwing a Party—And You’re Invited
- Watch This: Net-a-Porter’s Designer Shoe Tightrope Act
- Guess Celebrates Its 30th Anniversary with Claudia Schiffer and a 15-Piece Capsule Collection
Keep up with the Lucky team on Twitter: Follow @LuckyMagazine