The following is a guest post from our friends at POPSUGAR Fashion.
With New York Fashion Week underway, we’re taking a closer look at some of our favorites designers and the collections that bear witness to their creative genius. Today, we hone in on the sporty-meets-minimalist wares of Derek Lam. Read on to see more of his past work as we eagerly await his Spring 2014 show.
Derek Lam made his Fashion Week debut in 2003, sending out a collection that would mark a new era in crisp, clean, American sportswear. He redefined the classics, crafting a cool line of looks that felt utterly modern thanks to smart tailoring and attention to detail. What remains in each reincarnation is an unmistakably chic aesthetic—effortless, easy and wearable. He loves color as much as he loves black; he experiments as much with the classics as he does with edgier designs and prints, but continues to deliver a clever mix of the slick and the feminine.
For a look back on some of the San Francisco-born designer’s best runway looks ever, visit POPSUGAR Fashion now.
photo: Thomas Iannaccone for WWD
More from POPSUGAR Fashion:
- How to Get Snapped By a Street Style Photographer
- Calvin Klein Really Wanted to Hire David Beckham as an Underwear Model
- Five Products to Make Every Day Your Runway
- Now Might Be the Time to Buy That Homiès T-Shirt
- Emma Watson Redefines the Crop Top—Did She Make It Work?
- Start Spreading the News: Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Announces Schedule
- Let’s Be Social: The Week’s Stylish Social Media Snaps