The following is a guest post from our friends at The Budget Fashionista.
Dear Budget Fashionista,
I just love this site! I have checked it daily for years now! Help—I am a petite bottom (size 12-14) and regular on top (size large or 12). I carry excess weight in my stomach and always have a pooch. When I try on the new styles that are tight in the ribcage and more flowy below, I think I look pregnant. Same with tunics. Summer is approaching and I hate to layer too much in the summer (I live in Texas). What type of tops should I be looking for?
Fashion Tips for those with Tummies
Don’t fret, there’s plenty of options for those of us with a bit of a tummy. Follow these fashion tips below.
- 1. Show Some Skin. The more skin you show, the thinner you look. Why? Because the eye travels to where the skin is at. So wearing a tank top (unless you have flabby arms like me) or a low-cut top will actually draw the eye towards your toned arms and sexy bustline, rather than your midsection.
- 2. Go For the “V.” Look for cotton tops with either a v-neck with a bit of stretch (two to three percent Lycra content) in a solid color.
- 3. Work the Pattern. Choose patterns that are in scale with your body (contrary to popular belief, patterns can be flattering–just make sure they’re not too small or too big. I.e, if you have bigger features go for a bigger print, and if you have smaller features go for a smaller print).
- 4. Dress Monochromatically. Dressing monochromatically—black and black, blue and blue, pink and pink–can help distract from your midsection.
- 5. Discover the powers of ruching. Ruching is the scrunching of fabrics into folds, usually around your midsection. The folding camouflages any “lumps” around your middle section.
Last but not least, you can also wear a pair of tummy-control panties or a pair of Spanx. It’s not the best option during a hot summer, but an option nonetheless.
photo: David Meister, Salon Z, Ruched Jersey Dress, $348, saksfifthavenue.com
More on Luckymag.com:
- The Summer Edit: Everything You Need To Buy This Summer
- Resort 2013: 10 More Incredible Collections
- Shop it Out: Paloma Faith’s ‘Picking Up the Pieces’
- C. Wonder Is Coming To Columbus Circle: Here’s Four Other Nearby Stores You Should Shop Too
- Which Bag Is Best: Alexander McQueen vs. Jimmy Choo
- Best Plus Size Stores in America
More on Thebudgetfashionista.com:
- Sass & Class: 10 Southern Style Blogs We Love
- These Shoes Will Make Your Travel Experience A LOT Easier
- 15 Great Ways to Get Glowing Skin Now
Keep up with the Lucky team on Twitter: Follow @LuckyMagazine